Monday, February 15, 2010

Human Rights in an Islamic State :The Right to Protest Against Tyranny

5. The Right to Protest Against Tyranny:  Amongst the rights that Islam has conferred on human beings is the right to protest against government's tyranny. Referring to it the Qur'an says.  "God does not love evil talk in public unless it is by some one who has been injured thereby". In Islam, as has been argued earlier, all power and authority belongs to God, and with man there is only delegated power which becomes a trust; everyone who becomes a recipient or a donee of such a power has to stand in awful reverence before his people towards whom and for whose sake he will be called upon to use these powers.  This was acknowledged by Abu Bakr who said in his very first address:  "Cooperate with me when I am right but correct me when I commit error; obey me so long as I follow the commandments of Allah and His prophet; but turn away from me when I deviate".

No comments:

Post a Comment